Polycistic Ovarian Syndrom, also known as PCOS, is one of the most prevalent endocrine disorders in women. It is a complex and multifaceted imbalance that affects multiple organ systems. Due to it’s effects on hormones and blood sugar, it is known to substantially impact fertility. It is thought that over 30% of women with PCOS have no symptoms and go undiagnosed until fertility issues arise. Increasing stress levels and the standard American diet are making the condition much more prevalent in the United States. It’s important to note that PCOS is NOT a permanent condition and you can in fact manage this condition naturally and improve your chances of conceiving naturally with simple interventions to diet and lifestyle.
One of the first things that triggers PCOS is increased blood sugar levels. Elevated blood glucose causes changes in hormones that interfere with normal egg development each month. These improperly developed eggs stay in the ovary and develop into a cyst. This inconsistency in ovulation decreases progesterone levels, leading to many of the symptoms of PCOS. PCOS also causes an increase in testosterone which contributes to decreased ovulation, acne, difficult weight loss and an increase in facial hair growth.
- Irregular or no menstrual cycle
- Increased testosterone
- Ovarian cysts leading to pelvic pain
- Infertility or difficulty achieving and maintaining a pregnancy
- Acne, oily skin or dandruff
- Weight gain and difficult weight loss
- Lack of ovulation
- Heavy painful periods
Limiting dietary starch and sugar intake is the first and most critical step in starting your journey to reversing PCOS. This simple step can help to promote ovulation and fertility, weight loss, regular periods, as well as decrease facial hair growth. Naturopathic treatments can help you to implement effective and safe interventions to help get your body working optimally once again. Natural treatments include:
- Botanical medicine to help decrease excess testosterone and increase progesterone production
- Acupuncture to help promote ovulation
- Dietary counseling and Botanicals medicine to help regulate blood sugar and insulin levels as well as promote healthy and effective weight loss.
- Simple and cost effective home remedies to promote liver health
- Individualized detoxification protocol to improve hormone balance and overall endocrine function
- Education regarding toxic products such as plastics, pesticides and cleaning products that interfere with hormone health